Smoked beer can chicken is one of the best meats that you probably have had off the grill. It is one of the meats that you may want to try out if you have never given it a thought. If you are trying to figure out the best way to cook a delicious, whole chicken, then the beer can chicken on the pellet grill is worth your attention.
To make beer can chicken, you need to do the following;
- Preheat the grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your chicken with BBQ rub
- Partially stick a half-full can of beer under the whole chicken
- Smoke at 225 degrees F for about an hour
- Brush the beer can chicken with BBQ sauce and smoke for another 30 minutes at 325 degrees
- Serve the chicken
Even if you have never cooked a beer can chicken, the process is simple and easy for anyone to follow. The critical point to remember is that you will need a digital thermometer to help ensure that the meat gets to the safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Read on for deeper details on how to smoke a delicious Beer Can Chicken on Pellet Grill.
Beer Can Chicken Pellet Grill
To cook a juicy and fabulous beer can chicken, you must equip yourself with all the necessary equipment. Some of the essential things that you will need to complete the process successfully include;
- A can of beer
- Whole chicken
- Olive oil
- Barbecue rub or chicken seasoning
- Dry or fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
Preparing The Chicken For The Grill
If you bought the chicken from your local store, remove it from the packaging and put aside giblets and any organ that might have come with it. Rinse it with cold water to remove any excess salt or preservatives before patting it dry with a paper towel.
Once that is done, take any of your favorite beers bearing in mind that different types of beers will have different tastes. You can even use a soft drink if alcohol is not your thing.
Remove half of the beer in the can and add a few tablespoons of barbecue to the beer can for some extra flavor.
Seasoning The Chicken
The seasoning part is quite critical as it plays an essential role in enhancing the flavor of the chicken.
If you get the seasoning part wrong, you may not get the most delicious chicken.
After the skin of the chicken dries, brush its entire surface with olive oil, followed by salt, thyme, and pepper. The role of olive oil is to ensure that the largest portion of seasoning sticks on the surface of the chicken.
If you have your favorite seasoning, you can also introduce it at this stage.
Positioning The Can
Positioning the can is sometimes the challenging part for beginners. Nonetheless, it is a simple task that should not consume much of your energy. Slide the chicken into the beer can roaster and ensure that it fits perfectly into the cavity of the chicken well.
While a roasting stand is not a must, it can offer more stability to the chicken and ensure that the beer does not tip over.
Smoke The Chicken
Set the grill temperature to around 325 degrees Fahrenheit and smoke the whole chicken for about an hour. While the chicken is cooking, you should monitor the internal temperature and ensure that the chicken is well-cooked. The ideal internal temperature that you should target is 180F. Always place your digital meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken for accurate results.
Remove The Can
Once the internal temperature reaches the ideal range, remove the chicken from the grill to prevent overcooking. It is an excellent idea to let the chicken rest for about 15 minutes to allow it to reabsorb the juices. Carefully remove the chicken from the can and ensure that you do not spill the content before placing it on the cutting board.
Smoked Beer Can Chicken – Why It Works.
While there is no doubt that smoking beer can chicken on a pellet grill makes the chicken even more delicious, some people do not understand how it works. This recipe works wonders in providing you with a delicious chicken for the following reasons.
- The beer can add extra flavor to the chicken meat making it more delicious.
- Cooking low and slow by keeping the temperatures at 225 degrees Fahrenheit allows the pellet grill to infuse more smoke flavor to the chicken hence making it more delicious.
- Increasing the grill temperature during the last 30 minutes allows the skin of the chicken to get crispy and more delicious.
- The chicken seasoning, including the garlic herb butter, drips down the chicken, basting it while it cooks, making it more flavorful.
- The drippings from the chicken and garlic butter from the chicken fall combine with the beer to make a delicious gravy.
- The wine or beer inside the can releases hot steam once it gets hot, which infuses the chicken to keep the meat juicy and tasty.
Pitboss Beer Can Chicken
The pit boss grill guarantees the most tender and juicy beer can chicken you have probably never cooked before. If you have never tried a pitboss beer can chicken, you may need to try it. Here is why you will love pitboss beer can chicken.
- It is pretty easy to make, even if you are new to smoking/grilling
- Everyone who has had a chance to try it ends up loving it. Whether you are preparing it for your loved ones or friends, they will come for more
- At the end of the cooking period, the chicken becomes so tender and juicy that you enjoy every dig you make. With the pitboss beer can chicken, you do not expect dried-out or bland chicken breast.
Traeger Beer Can Chicken
The Traeger beer can chicken does not require you to employ fancy equipment to create a delicious chicken. Relying on your favorite beer and chicken legs can see you cook a super moist and flavorful Traeger beer can chicken. Follow these steps;
- Generously season your whole chicken with Traeger Chicken Rub.
- You can tuck the win tips back before letting the seasoned chicken rest for a minimum of two hours and a maximum of 24 hours for best results.
- Set the Traeger grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and preheat for about 15 minutes while the lid is closed.
- Open your favorite beer and set your seasoned chicken on top of the beer. Ensure that the chicken is stable for easy grilling.
- Place the whole chicken and the beer can on the grill grate and cook for about 75 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit
- Remove the chicken from the grill and rest it for 10 minutes before serving it.
Tips For Smoking A Delicious Beer Can Chicken
- Use a smoke tube for a smokier taste. Additionally, ensure that you pick the best wood pellets, such as apple wood pellets.
- Increase the heat of the grill just before you complete the smoking to achieve a darker and crispier skin
- Adjust the cooking time and temperature according to the size of the chicken and grill to avoid overcooking or undercooking the chicken. A digital meat thermometer is handy to ensure that you get the internal temperature right to avoid any health issues.
- If you do not have a beer roasting rack, you can use the legs of the chicken to prop it over the beer can and ensure its stability.
- Use a pellet grill because it makes it easy for you to regulate the temperatures, making it easy to cook a delicious chicken.
- Fresh herbs, garlic butter sauce, and dried herbs can enhance the flavor of your beer can chicken.
- Use a can of beer instead of a beer bottle because the beer bottle is taller and may prevent the steam from getting to the chicken.
Smoking a delicious beer can chicken is simple as long as you have the right equipment, information, and the will to follow all the steps. All you need is to set your grill at 225 degrees Fahrenheit and smoke the whole chicken in a beer can for about an hour before increasing the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit to finish up.
Scot has loved smoking food in his free time for the last few years. Each major holiday or off-weekend, Scot spends days testing and prepping new recipes for perfection.