Pellet grill spare ribs are tender and delicious. Fortunately, it offers many methods that you can embrace to cook mouth watering spare ribs.
To smoke flavorful spare ribs:
- Prepare your ribs, followed by preheating the pellet grill to 225F, and place the prepared ribs on the grill for 3 hours.
- Remove the spare ribs from the grill, wrap them on foil with BBQ and apple juice, and smoke them for another 2 hours.
- Remove the ribs and brush them with BBQ sauce before smoking them for an additional hour.
Although smoking spare ribs on a pellet grill may appear challenging, especially for beginners, the truth is that it is a straightforward process that is easy to follow. Read on for more details on how to grill flavorful spare ribs.
How To Smoke Spare Ribs On A Pellet Grill
Smoked spare ribs on a pellet grill are so delicious that they literally fall off the bone. The process is pretty explicit whether you are new to smoking ribs on a pellet grill or an expert. All you need to do is prepare the spare ribs, put them on the grill, and brush them with BBQ sauce before the merrymaking begins.
The following instructions ensure you get every step right for delicious smoked ribs.
1. Remove The Membranes
After purchasing quality spare ribs from your local joint, the next step is to prepare them for the grill. Start by removing the membrane from the back of the ribs using a sharp knife. Once you loosen the membrane, grab its edge and pull it off slowly to ensure that it comes off in one piece. If you have to remove it in small pieces, it is vital to ensure that you remove it to make it easy for the ribs to absorb the seasoning.
2. Prepare Your Favorite Rub
After removing the membrane from the back of the ribs, the next critical step is to prepare your favorite rub in a bowl. Some ingredients you will need include the dry rub for ribs, BBQ sauce, honey, brown sugar, apple juice, and yellow mustard.
3. Season The Spare Ribs
Spread the yellow mustard on the ribs, covering it completely. After that, spread the dry rub over the ribs and also ensure you cover it completely. Once you are satisfied with the level of seasoning, the next step is to wrap the ribs in saran wrap and place them in a fridge to rest for a minimum of 2 hours. You can let them rest in the fridge overnight for the best results.
4. Prepare Your Pellet Grill
When preparing your grill, you must ensure that you strictly follow the manual to avoid any inconveniences. Set the grill at 225 degrees F and use the wood chips that will give you the desired flavor. The apple wood chips are among the best for smoking spare ribs. Therefore, if you have them at your disposal, it will be a good idea to try them. Once the grill hits a temperature of 225 degrees F, place the ribs, bone side down, and smoke for 3 hours.
5. Mix BBQ Juice And Apple Juice
After 3 hours:
- Remove the ribs from the grill and leave the grill at the same temperature.
- Lay the ribs in tinfoil, pour a mixture of apple juice and BBQ juice, and seal the foil carefully so that nothing escapes.
- Place the ribs back into the smoker and cook for another 2 hours.
6. The Finishing
After the two hours have elapsed, remove the spare ribs from the grill and remove them from the foil. Meanwhile, mix honey, BBQ sauce, and brown sugar in a bowl. Coat the ribs with the mixture before putting the ribs back to cook for another hour. Remove the ribs from the grill, and brush with sauce again before serving.
How To Cook Spare Ribs On A Pellet Grill
The diverse nature of the pellet grill allows you to embrace different methods to cook your spare ribs. To cook spare ribs on a pellet grill, you will need a basting brush, spray bottle, pellet grill, and heavy-duty foil. Here are the directions to follow.
- Preheat the pellet grill to 275F before combining four tablespoons of ground pepper, two tablespoons of salt, and two teaspoons of paprika in a bowl. Rub your spare ribs carefully with oil before sprinkling it with the mixture from the bowl. The significance of the oil is to enhance the spices to stick to the ribs.
- Transfer the spare ribs to the grill and cover the grill for an hour.
- While the ribs are cooking, take the time to combine brown sugar, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, two teaspoons pepper, and two teaspoons paprika in a saucepan. Cook the mixture at a medium temperature until the mixture is warmed.
- By now, the ribs should be turning red due to the smoke. Spray them with vinegar water, cover them, and cook for another 45 minutes until their color becomes deep red.
- Lay down the heavy-duty foil and ensure they can perfectly cover the ribs. Put the ribs on the foil and spray them with the sauce you prepared above. Once every part of the ribs is well covered by the sauce, fold the foil over and seal well.
- Transfer the ribs back to the grill and cook for another 2 hours until they become tender but not falling off the bone
- Remove the ribs from the grill and allow them to rest for about five minutes before unwrapping. The steam from the wrapped rib can burn you if you are not careful. Slice and serve with the remaining sauce.
How Long To Smoke Ribs
Smoking spare ribs takes about 6 hours. To make your spare ribs delicious, follow the 3-2-1 hourly schedule. The 6-hour duration means you need to preheat your smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit and maintain the temperature at 225 degrees throughout the cooking process.
Pork Spare Ribs On Pellet Grill
Ribs are most delicious when they are cooked in the right way. When cooking your pork ribs, you should consider cooking them on a pellet grill. The following are the benefits of pork spare ribs on a pellet grill.
- Pellet grill guarantees quality flavor as it allows you to use the wood pellets that you think will infuse the best flavor into your food.
- Another benefit of pellet grills is that they are built with the user’s needs in mind. They can accommodate both beginners and experts at the same time.
- Fast cooking – it is also important to note that the pellet grills allow you to decide how fast you want to prepare your meals.
Tips For Smoking The Best Ribs
Although there are many methods that you can embrace to cook delicious spare ribs, there are general guidelines that you will need to uphold regardless of the methods that you choose. The following tips will see you smoke the best ribs.
- Always focus on purchasing quality meat. Regardless of the effectiveness of your smoking skills, you will not get the desired results if the quality is poor.
- Remove the membrane to ensure that the seasoning penetrates effectively to the ribs. Moreover, if you fail to trim off the membrane, the ribs may have a dry and tough texture making it difficult for you to pull off the meat from the bones.
- Ensure that you choose the best wood. While some people do not pay attention to the type of wood they use, it is crucial to understand that the type of wood can make a difference.
- Help the seasoning to stick. Using the proper seasoning alone is not enough. Instead, you should ensure that seasoning sticks to the meat to produce more flavorful results. Olive can play this role perfectly.
- Always ensure you cook your ribs low and slow while maintaining the temperatures. Further, make sure that you wrap them the right way.
Smoking delicious spare ribs on a pellet grill is a straightforward process that should not give you a lot of stress. Once you have proper seasoning, apple wood chips, dry rub for ribs, brown sugar, tin foil, and BBQ sauce, you are set for a great meal. You only need to set your grill at 225 degrees Fahrenheit and adopt the 3-2-1 hour method.
Scot has loved smoking food in his free time for the last few years. Each major holiday or off-weekend, Scot spends days testing and prepping new recipes for perfection.