A smoked leg of lamb is a tasty delicacy to enjoy with friends and family. Fortunately, smoking a delicious leg of lamb is never a complex task like some people may want to look at it. A few ingredients, including rosemary, garlic, and olive oil, and a few smoking procedures will result in a juicy and delicious meal.
To smoke the leg lamb:
- Start by preheating your smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit with cherry or apple wood for the best flavor.
- Smoke the leg lamb for about two hours before increasing the smoker’s temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and continue smoking for another two minutes.
Let it rest before slicing and enjoying.
One of the secrets to a delicious smoked leg lamb is to ensure you purchase a high-quality lamb raised and bred in the US. Read on for more details on preparing a tasty lamb leg for your friends or even family members.
Purchasing Quality Leg Of The Lamb
The quality of the leg of the lamb you buy for this recipe will significantly impact the dish’s quality. Therefore, for the best results, it is vital to ensure that you invest in the best quality. One of the best tricks is ordering the lamb from a reputable grocery. Also, pay close attention to the animal’s diet, age, and trimming.
Smoked Leg Of Lamb Recipe
The smoked leg of lamb recipe is pretty simple to prepare, and you are going to like it for the following reasons;
- While the leg of lamb is excellent for a holiday meal, it is hearty enough to work perfectly at any time of the year.
- It is convenient for cooking during those summer nights when you do not want to heat your entire house.
- The smoked lamb is an excellent delicacy that the whole family can quickly love.
- Olive Oil – In addition to adding a nice flavor to the lamb, olive oil plays a significant role in holding the rosemary and garlic into place.
- Garlic – Garlic is excellent for complementing the flavor of the lamb.
- The Leg of Lamb – Ensure that you buy a leg of lamb that is of high quality for the best results
- Salt and pepper – seasoning the lamb well is key to enhancing its flavor.
How To Smoke The Leg Of A Lamb
Start by preparing the lamb for the smoker. If you want it to taste like a lamb, start by trimming the excess fat. In addition to trimming the lamb, you also need to ensure that you season it well. Go for your favorite seasoning but do not forget pepper and salt. Seasoning the meat well is key to elevating its flavors.
- Set your smoker at 250 degrees Fahrenheit and add your preferred wood of choice. The cherry or apple wood is the most appropriate choice as it is not likely to overpower the flavor of the leg of the lamb.
- Trim the fat as you like it. However, it is vital to note that lamb fat carries a lot of flavors. Therefore, you should not trim all of it as this will deprive you of the lamby taste.
- Season the lamb well with salt, chili, and pepper. You can be liberal with pepper and salt.
- Score the fat cap to foster the seasoning of the meat for the best results
- Smear the lamb with harissa or any of your favorite seasonings for the best results.
- Place the lamb on the smoker with the fat-cap side down to protect the meat from direct heat.
- Smoke the meat until it attains your desired level of doneness
Sear the Roast
- Increase the smoker’s temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and set the meat up for direct heat.
- Sear the meat at a high temperature while rotating it every minute until charred bits are formed.
- Move the sear leg of lamb to the cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Slice and serve
Boneless Leg Of Lamb Recipe
To cook a delicious boneless leg of lamb, you need olive oil, white wine, garlic, fresh mint, rosemary, lemon, and fresh thyme.
1. Marinate The Boneless Leg Of The Lamb
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir them well until they perfectly combine. Place the leg of the lamb into the bowl and massage it well with the marinade before putting it in the fridge and let it marinate for 8-24 hours.
2. Preheat The Smoker
Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees with wood such as pecan or apple wood.
3. Smoke The Leg Of Lamb
Get the boneless leg of lamb out of the marinade and place it on the grates of the smoker. Close the lid of the smoker and let the meat cook for 3-4 hours or until the lamb attains an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Sear The Meat
Increase the temperature of your grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and sear the lamb until the meat attains an internal of 140 degrees Fahrenheit or your desired level of doneness.
5. Rest And Serve
The last step is to rest the meat before slicing it and enjoying it with friends or family. Resting the lamb for 15-20 minutes is suitable for distributing the juices evenly.
What To Serve With Smoked Leg Of Lamb
Well-smoked leg of lamb is incredibly delicious. It can even be more mouthwatering if you serve it with the best dishes. Here are some of the best side dishes for a perfectly smoked leg of lamb.
1. Roasted Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are not only healthy and friendly to your heart, but they are also pretty flavorful. The secret is to watch the vegetables while smoking them to ensure they come out well.
Further, if you find it challenging to grill the vegetables on the grill, you can always turn to the grilling basket.
2. Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Mashed sweet potatoes can also serve as an excellent side dish for a smoked leg of lamb. One of the qualities that make mashed potatoes an ideal side dish is that their flavor compliments smoked lamb. To make the dish even more delicious, you can go the extra mile by adding various potato toppings. Cream cheese, maple syrup, and sour cream will make an excellent top-up for the mashed sweet potatoes.
Colcannon is a popular traditional Irish mashed potato meal made by mixing boiled potato and mashed cabbage, kale, butter, and onions. Although it sounds simple, it is pretty healthy and delicious. The colcannon is one of the best side dishes for the leg of the lamb as its flavor does not overwhelm the taste of the lamb. Instead, it complements it.
4. Broccoli With Cheese Sauce
If you are looking for a delicious and filling dish with an extra burst of flavor, then the broccoli cheese sauce will do the magic. The recipe is quite simple; all you need is to boil or steam your broccoli until it is tender before draining and setting it aside.
The next step is to mix the flour, some butter, and milk to create a white sauce. Add the cheese and season with pepper and salt before putting the sauce over the broccoli, and you are set for a mouthwatering meal.
5. Asparagus Risotto
A prepared risotto can make a perfect side dish for a smoked leg of lamb. This is because the two dishes make a great pair. The trick to a delicious risotto is to slowly add the broth while stirring to achieve a delectable creaminess.
A well-smoked leg of lamb provides an amazing way to enjoy a delicious meal with your friends and family members. Remember to marinate the lamb for about 24 hours to give it an incredible flavor. Further, you can always choose from a plethora of side dishes, including the Asparagus Risotto and the broccoli with cheese sauce.
Scot has loved smoking food in his free time for the last few years. Each major holiday or off-weekend, Scot spends days testing and prepping new recipes for perfection.