One of the common questions that BBQ enthusiasts ask is what the best wood for smoking meat is. While there are numerous types of wood for smoking meat, including oak, apple, pecan, and many others, the decision on the one to use is not always straightforward.
Pecan smoking wood is one of the most popular woods for smoking as it infuses a mildly sweet aroma. It renders a rich nutty, and sweet flavor. Some pitmasters state that the Pecan wood is so sweet that you may want to combine it with another type of hardwood for a balanced flavor.
If you are out to look for wood that will give you a unique barbecue flavor, the Pecan smoking wood will not disappoint. Nonetheless, there is much to learn about Pecan wood for a smooth grilling experience.
What Is Pecan Wood?
Pecan wood is a type of hickory wood that produces rich buttery nuts. It is widely used in building furniture and makes excellent wood for smoking meat. If you compare the flavor of the Pecan tree with other fruit trees, the Pecan tree has a more robust flavor. However, the mesquite and the hickory overpower its mild flavor.
Is Pecan Wood Good For Smoking?
Yes, pecan wood is excellent for smoking meat. Professionals love using pecan because of its incredible ability to smoke various meat and achieve the desired results. Moreover, the mild flavor associated with pecan wood does not dilute the meat’s natural flavor.
How To Prepare Pecan Wood For Smoking
Although there is no doubt that pecan wood is one of the best woods to use for smoking meat, you need to note that you must prepare the wood well for delicious meat. Preparing the wood in the right way can have a direct influence on both the flavor and the tenderness of the meat.
It would help to make several necessary preparations to effectively utilize pecan wood for smoking. Here are some of these preparations.
- Before using pecan wood for smoking, it is vital to ensure that they are well-dried. Pecan wood with moisture may not hold the flame, hindering the cooking process. Moreover, using pecan wood with moisture can be a waste of time.
- After establishing that your pecan wood is well-dried, the next step will be to ensure that they are in the correct size depending on the size of your smoke and the meat you want.
- Do your calculation – smoking wood can be expensive, so you should ensure that none goes to waste. Therefore, you should know the amount of wood required to complete the cooking.
- Lastly, it is a good idea to spit the wood into links to ensure you do not have a hard time using it.
Pecan Wood Chips For Smoking
Pecan wood chips for smoking are best known for their immense ability to create a strong smoke flavor similar to the hickory but with a sweeter flavor. In addition to the incredible flavor, pecan wood is popular because it can pair with different cuts of meat. Thus, if you love smoking different types of meat and do not want to have a plethora of different types of wood, then the pecan will not disappoint.
Although pecan wood for smoking is readily available in local shops, you must be categorical on the best types to purchase. There are several types of pecan wood chips and chunks that you can buy.
Camerons Pecan BBQ Wood Chips
While most companies specialize in making natural wood chips, the Camerons seem to stand out as they have always dedicated their time to ensure that their chips are 100% pure. The company starts by cleaning and crushing the wood so they do not create unnecessary wood. The Camerons Pecan BBQ Chips can work perfectly on any grill.
Some features that make the BBQ Pecan Chips stand out from the rest include; getting burnt faster, long-lasting works with all types of grills, and being 100% natural. In addition, the chips are made from raw timber to guarantee a reliable flavor.
The Western Premium Pecan Wood Chips
The Western Premium Pecan Wood Chips are of premium quality, making them one of the ideal products for smoking enthusiasts. With the premium packaging and impressive qualities, there is no way you are going to get disappointed by investing in these wood chips.
However, to get the best results when using western premium pecan wood chips, you must be generous when putting the pecan chips into the smoker. A rich smoky flavor is guaranteed with the right amount of chips in the smoker.
Numerous features make the Western Premium Pecan Wood Chips popular in the modern market. These features include premium quality, rot prevention ability, and moderate heat, and you can use it for various foods.
Weber Pecan Smoking Wood Chunks
If you want a mildly sweet, smoky flavor to your meat, the Weber Pecan wood chunks will not disappoint you. These chunks are generally large compared to other types of wood chunks that you will find in the market.
The Weber Pecan Smoking chunk boasts numerous features, which include being kiln-dried, reasonable in price, can smoke varieties of foods, larger than regular junk, and can infuse a fruity flavor into your food.
What Meat Is Pecan Wood Good For Smoking?
When purchasing wood to smoke the meat, one of the questions you have to ask yourself is whether the wood you buy will complement the specific cut of meat you cook. The truth is that different meats will require different types of wood, so you must be careful before purchasing the wood.
The good thing about pecan wood is that you can use it for cooking various foods. Here are some of the top seven foods you can cook using Pecan wood.
- Smoked Chicken – You can get a delicious and flavorful smoked chicken using pecan wood. In addition, the moderate heat from the pecan wood will guarantee tender meat.
- Smoked Spare Ribs – Pecan wood will make your work easier if you love cooking spare ribs. The spare ribs are relatively lean meat, meaning that they’re best when smoked low and slow. Moreover, they have much margin for error, making them the best candidate to smoke using pecan wood.
- Smoked Turkey – Smoking a whole turkey with pecan wood will guarantee delicious and sweet-flavored food.
- Smoked Pork Butt – The pork part has a lot of connective tissue that you take care of when smoking the meat. It has a forgiving nature that allows you to smoke the meat without worrying it will dry.
- Smoked BBQ Brisket –the pecan wood is great for smoking brisket. Smoking the brisket for about 12 hours will ensure that it will render well for a tender and delicious meal.
Wood Smoke Flavors
When it comes to smoking, one of the essentials is that different types of wood have unique flavors. Therefore you can decide on the flavor you want to infuse into your food by choosing a complementing wood flavor. Here are some of the best wood smoke flavors.
- Mild Woods –the mild flavors allow you to enjoy the smoky flavor from a distance. They include alder and fruitwoods such as peach wood, apple wood, and cherry wood.
- Medium Woods – The medium woods include maple, hickory, oak, and pecan. They are excellent for smoking pork, poultry, game meats, and beef.
- Strong Woods – If you are after a strong flavor, these are the woods to embrace as they offer an intense flavor. The mesquite is a perfect example of this category.
When deciding on the best wood to smoke your food, you should ensure that you are definitely on the flavor you want. Pecan wood is a medium-flavored wood that is excellent for smoking poultry, pork, beef, and even game meats. It is one of the best woods for smoking meat.
Scot has loved smoking food in his free time for the last few years. Each major holiday or off-weekend, Scot spends days testing and prepping new recipes for perfection.